The Planning and Zoning Office and the Building Inspector work hard to make sure our city is safe, smart, and well-built. If you are planning on building something big or small, talk to us first and we will walk you through the process.

Building Permits

For downloadable building permit PDF forms, see the Forms and Permits page.

For questions about building permits and building regulations, please contact Alan McMahan, Building Official, at or (540) 261-8635.

New buildings and additions to existing buildings require a Zoning Construction Permit before obtaining a Building Permit. Commercial buildings and large developments may require a Site Plan and/or and Erosion and Sediment Control Plan.

All signs, both permanent and temporary, that are visible from the public right-of-way require permits from the Zoning Administrator.

Zoning Questions

Land use regulations including zoning can be found in the City of Buena Vista Code.

A copy of the zoning map can be found here: Zoning Map

Always confirm with the Department of Planning & Community Development regarding zoning determinations by calling (540) 261-8607.

Residential Rental

Residential rental, including apartments and detached houses, is an important part of the City’s housing. In addition to land use regulations that apply to all buildings, the City has established a Rental Inspection Program to ensure minimum health and safety conditions in residential rental units in some parts of the city.

For more information, see the Residential Rental Land Use Regulation Guide and the Rental Inspection Program Guide.