The City of Buena Vista is seeking seasonal workers for both the Streets Division and Building and Grounds Division of Public Works. Candidates must have a VA Drivers license and pass City drug test. Skills needed for include handling small tools, weed eaters, trimmers, push mowers, riding mowers, shovels, rakes etc. These positions primarily report to the Streets Supervisor and will assist in trimming and mowing right-of-ways and City property and other work associated with Street upkeep. One position reports to the Building & Grounds Supervisor for cleaning Park bathrooms during afternoon, evening and weekends. For more information and application please contact Trina Mastran, Director of Public Works at email@example.com and/or 540-261-1444.
You can find an application form here.
The City of Buena Vista is seeking a dynamic and energetic individual to serve as combined Building Official and Property Maintenance Official. Working in the Department of Planning & Community Development, this individual is generally responsible for the safety and maintenance of buildings and property in the City through the construction permitting and inspection process, our property maintenance code enforcement program, and our rental inspection program. He/she will interact daily with the public and the City staff team.
He/she must have at least five years of experience in building inspections, construction, engineering, or a similar field. Salary depends on qualifications; the City offers a generous benefit package. Position open until filled. To apply, submit a resume and application form (found here) to Thomas Roberts, Director of Planning & Community Development, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
BUILDING OFFICIAL/PROPERTY MAINTENANCE OFFICIAL
This position is the City’s Building Official and Property Maintenance Code Official. Under general supervision, he/she inspects residential, commercial and industrial properties to ensure compliance with the currently adopted building code and other applicable ordinances. This position is a salaried position and is Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) exempt.
- Provides information and assistance to the public regarding code compliance and construction
- Issues construction, remodeling, and demolition permits and maintains accurate records
- Performs inspection of construction, remodeling, and demolition work and maintains accurate inspection reports and associated records
- Reviews building and site plans and communicates comments to applicant prior to issuance of building permit
- Coordinates third-party plan review and/or inspections for construction types he/she is not qualified to review or inspect
- Issues correction notices and stop work orders, if necessary, when construction is not being completed in compliance with regulations (regarding methods and/or materials)
- Achieve and maintain full certification through DHCD as Building Official and Property Maintenance Official by attending required continuing education
- Achieve and maintain full certification through DEQ as Erosion and Sediment Control Program Inspector and Storm Water Program Inspector
- Assist with inspection of Erosion and Sediment Control and Storm Water Management measures
- Proactively identify property maintenance violations and pursue compliance
- Investigate complaints regarding property maintenance violations and pursue compliance
- Maintains complete documentation and records of property maintenance investigations
- Manage the Rental Inspection Program by tracking dwelling units, systematically scheduling inspections, and maintaining accurate records of certification
- Performs related duties as required
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in building inspection, construction, or related trades (state requirement)
- Graduation from high school or a GED
- Valid driver’s license
- Proficiency in operating computer databases and mobile apps
- Current building code and property maintenance code official certification through DHCD, OR the ability to become certified within three years
- Experience as a building inspector for a Virginia locality
- Bachelors degree
- Erosion and Sediment Control and Storm Water Management Inspector certification through DEQ
Tools & Equipment Used
- Desktop computer and smartphone
- City vehicle
- Working knowledge of insurance industry, public risk management and loss control practices; working knowledge of safety/health, environmental, engineering and loss prevention procedures.
- Ability to analyze and understand safety/health policies and principles; ability to maintain efficient risk management systems and procedures; ability to analyze risks and exposures;
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, stand, sit and talk or hear; to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work is performed in office, vehicle and outdoor settings. Employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions or moving mechanical parts.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet but will occasionally become loud.
This job description does not list all the responsibilities, duties, skills, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. Employees will be evaluated in part based upon performance of the tasks listed in this job description. Management reserves the right to revise this job description at any time. This job description is not a contract for employment.
- Must be at least 21 years of age with a high school diploma or equivalent
- Have a valid operator’s license with a good driving history
- Clean criminal record
Applications may be obtained from the Buena Vista Police Department or downloaded here. Applications may be dropped off or mailed to Buena Vista Police Department, 306 Park Avenue, Buena Vista, VA 24416 or emailed to email@example.com. If you have any questions please contact us at 540-261-6174. Applications may be obtained from the Buena Vista Police Department or downloaded here. Application deadline is December 1, 2017. Applications may be dropped off or mailed to Buena Vista Police Department, 306 Park Avenue, Buena Vista, VA 24416 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions please contact us at 540-261-6174.
The City of Buena Vista is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
The City of Buena Vista is accepting applications for the position of “Water Quality Operations Supervisor (WWTP Chief Operator).”
This position works under the supervision of the Water & Sewer Supervisor in the Public Works Department and provides oversight to staff operating and maintaining wastewater treatment facilities. Responsibilities include supervising wastewater plant functions through the implementation of policies and procedures to efficiently operate the WWTP and equipment used to collect, treat, and dispose of waterborne domestic and industrial waste in accordance with regulatory requirements. Requires performing routine semiskilled and technical work and serves as back-up for the Laboratory Manager. Position requires employee to be on-call and work weekends and holidays as needed. Cross training in the area of water treatment may be required.
Applicant should possess a high school diploma or equivalent, a Class II Wastewater license as issued through the Virginia authority and three years of experience as a Class II; prefer two (2) years of supervisory experience. Possession of a valid driver’s license issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia is required. Must be computer literate and able to use Microsoft Excel and Word programs. The City is a member of the Virginia Retirement System and offers excellent benefits as part of their employment package. Salary is $45,000 to $50,000 based on qualifications.
A detailed job description of this position and City application may be obtained by contacting the Department of Public Works at 540-261-1444 or email@example.com.
Submit application with resume and cover letter to: Trina Mastran, Director of Public Works, 2039 Sycamore Ave, Buena Vista, VA 24416 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis; early submittal is encouraged. Open until filled.
You can find an application form here.