The mission of the Voter Registrar’s Office is to:
- Provide equal opportunity for all qualified citizens of the City of Buena Vista to register to vote
- Maintain accurate voter records used in elections
- Conduct all elections at the highest level of professional standards, ensuring public confidence in the integrity of the results
- Be an information resource for citizens regarding voter registration, absentee voting, elections, and elected officials
The Registrar is open Monday-Friday 9:00am-12:30pm and 1:30pm-5pm. Emilie Staton, Registrar, may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I register to Vote?
Registering to vote is a uniform procedure statewide. You must either complete a Virginia Voter Registration Application or a National Voter Registration Application. Completed applications are accepted in person or by mail.
The General Registrar for the City of Buena Vista is Emilie Staton. Her office is on the first floor of City Hall and she may be reached at (540) 261-8605.
To be eligible to vote in the next election, registration must be completed 21 days prior.
Applications are also available at:
- Voter Registration Offices in Virginia
- Government Agencies in Virginia, including
- Post Offices
- Public Libraries
- Division of Motor Vehicles locations
- Social Services
Once your application has been processed, you will be mailed a Voter Registration Notice, which provides where you vote and your federal, state and local election districts.
- You must be a citizen of the United States of America.
- You must be a resident of Virginia.
- You must be at least 18 years of age by Election Day.
- You must not be registered and plan to vote in another state.
- If you have been convicted of a felony, your voting rights must be restored.
- You must not be currently judged by a circuit court to be mentally incompetent.